Se Serving more than 7 million people in our region, the Houston-Galveston Area Council is the cornerstone to address issues that cross city limits and county lines every day. H-GAC is made up of 13 county governments, 107 cities, and 11 school districts. H-GAC prides itself in serving as an instrument of local government cooperation, promoting the region’s orderly development and the safety and welfare of its citizens.
H-GAC is seeking a Manager to join the Transportation Department to lead the Travel Demand Management Program including Commute Solutions and other initiatives. Through cooperation with local governments, H-GAC improves the quality of life for residents across the region. Improving mobility and creating multimodal transportation options are core elements in H-GAC’s transportation programs.
The Travel Demand Management Program in H-GAC aims to reduce peak period commuter trips and vehicle miles traveled to reduce congestion and improve air quality. The Manager will lead the Travel Demand Management Program and build partnerships with peers on developing and implementing programmatic strategies as it relates to travel demand management and outreach initiatives.
Travel Demand Management Program Building
The Manager will provide direction to develop and implement travel demand management strategies such as transit connections, bicycle and pedestrian facilities, carpool, vanpool, telework, etc. to implement the Travel Demand Management Program. This will entail developing focus areas, specific actions, and coordinating outreach efforts to promote commuter alternatives to alleviate congestion and improve air quality in those areas. A knowledge and understanding of transportation planning is essential for this role.
The Manager will establish and maintain relationships with the public and key stakeholders within the eight-county Metropolitan Planning Organization (MPO) service area. The Manager will build the foundation for strong community relations with community organizations, governmental agencies, educational institutions, civic groups, and others. The Manager will proactively seek out potential partnerships that will enhance the visibility of the Travel Demand Management Program and improve communications with the public and stakeholders. A key part of this position is to provide proactive and continuous public outreach and education to select target audiences. The Manager will attend relevant community outreach events and make presentations to select groups about the Travel Demand Management Program.
The successful candidate will have at a minimum:
- Bachelor’s degree in Urban Planning or Regional Planning, Public Administration, Communications or Marketing or related field
- Five years of experience in planning, communications, or public outreach
- Applicable experience may substitute for education
- Proven methods in measuring the effectiveness of an outreach plans
- Experience in presenting in public and various diverse groups
Preferred Qualifications Include:
- Master’s degree in Urban Planning or Regional Planning, Public Administration, Communications or Marketing or related field
- Experience working in transportation planning outreach programs
- Eight years of experience in planning, communications, or public outreach
- Experience working with consultants, contractors, and vendors
- Experience working in the government sector, especially in a transportation related field
Apply online via: https://h-gac.com/careers
H-GAC is an equal opportunity/AA employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, or protected veteran status.
Equal Opportunity Employer