- Job Description
The North Central Texas Council of Governments Transportation Department is seeking an entry- or mid-level Transportation Planner to support the development, maintenance, and implementation of the Transportation Improvement Program (TIP). Responsibilities will generally include technical and/or administrative support to TIP projects and programs. Problem-solving and critical-thinking skills are essential to this position. This posting is for the mid-level Transportation Planner II. Applicants wishing to be considered for this position should apply online at https://mycogcareer.silkroad.com/. To be considered for the entry-level Transportation Planner I position or any other NCTCOG position that may currently be open, applicants need to apply online separately for those postings. All submittals should include a cover letter summarizing work experience, as well as a current resume.
Responsibilities may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Modifying the Transportation Improvement Program document
- Reviewing project histories/modifications and providing an initial and follow-up analysis to team members and/or regional partners for project inquiries
- Entering data and maintaining database quality and integrity of the data
- Responding to TIP inquiries as directed by supervisor
- Supporting the Department and committees by scheduling regular/cyclical meetings, developing agendas, and
- preparing handouts
- Creating and updating modification logs for each TIP project entry
- Administering State, federal and regional transportation funding programs
- Ensuring compliance with federal and State requirements concerning program administration and management
- Preparing ad hoc reports
- Preparing documents for submission to the Texas Transportation Commission (TTC)
- Updating the TIP database with project changes
- Performing quality control checks on database inputs
- Drafting correspondence, documentation, reports, articles, and executive summaries
- Performing analysis on Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT) and NCTCOG project listings
- Preparing and delivering various presentations
- Must be able to coordinate and communicate with other team members and external partners
- Must possess strong analytical and critical reasoning skills
- Must possess strong data entry skills
- Must be proficient at collecting, sorting and compiling data for analysis
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Must be proficient in MS Excel and understand how to efficiently manipulate tables and charts
- Must be proficient in the use of MS Word and MS PowerPoint
- Must be flexible and able to multi-task
- Must be detail oriented and highly organized
- Must be able to effectively handle special assignments outside of daily tasks
- Must be able to accept new techniques and procedures quickly and integrate them into daily job functions
- Must work well under pressure and in time-sensitive situations
- Should be able to provide feedback when asked and offer innovative ideas to help streamline and improve the
- functionality and efficiency of the TIP Team and the Transportation Department
- Working knowledge of MS Access and ESRI GIS software products is a plus
- Bachelor’s degree in analytical, quantitative methods (i.e., business, bookkeeping, accounting, public administration, public policy, government, urban/transportation planning, or related field)
- At least one year of job-related experience
Minimum of $48,278.00 annually
The North Central Texas Council of Governments (NCTCOG) is a voluntary association of, by and for local governments, and was established to assist local governments in planning for common needs, cooperating for mutual benefit, and coordinating for sound regional development. NCTCOG’s purpose is to strengthen both the individual and collective power of local governments and to help them recognize regional opportunities, eliminate unnecessary duplication, and make joint decisions. Since 1974, the North Central Texas Council of Governments (NCTCOG) has served as the Metropolitan Planning Organization for transportation in the Dallas-Fort Worth Metropolitan Area and is responsible for developing transportation plans and programs that address the complex needs of the rapidly growing area. The planning area for transportation includes the 12 counties of Collin, Dallas, Denton, Ellis, Hood, Hunt, Johnson, Kaufman, Parker, Rockwall, Tarrant, and Wise.
The agency offers generous benefits, a friendly atmosphere with open communications for cooperative decision making, and challenging opportunities. The environment encourages both individual and team growth, responsibility and innovation.
NCTCOG is recognized as a military-friendly employer and values the knowledge, experience, and skills acquired during your military service career. All qualified veterans are invited to apply.
NCTCOG is an equal opportunity employer/program. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, disability, veteran status, and other classifications covered under federal, state, or local laws. Auxiliary aids and services are available upon request to individuals with disabilities. All candidates must successfully pass a pre-employment drug screen and national criminal background check in order to receive an employment offer from NCTCOG.
The North Central Texas Council of Governments participates in the federal E-Verify program in order to verify a new employee’s authorization to work in the United States. Applicants must be lawfully authorized to work in the U.S.
Job postings are kept open for a minimum of 10 calendar days and may close anytime thereafter at the discretion of the hiring manager.
ARLINGTON, United States
Equal Opportunity Employer