- Job Description
The North Central Texas Council of Governments Transportation Department is seeking an entry- or mid-level Transportation Planner to support the maintenance and management of Geographic Information Systems (GIS) based travel demand networks and associated travel forecasting analysis activities. This posting is for the entry-level Transportation Planner I position. Applicants wishing to be considered for this position should apply online at https://mycogcareer.silkroad.com/. To be considered for the mid-level Transportation Planner II position or any other position that may currently be open, applicants need to apply online separately for those postings. All submittals should include a cover letter summarizing work experience, as well as a current resume.
Responsibilities may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Assisting with the maintenance and management of roadway and transit networks used in travel demand modeling
- Using Geographic Information Systems (GIS) tools to code travel demand forecasting networks
- Gathering information from local governments and partner agencies, as well as utilizing media and web-based sources to monitor the status of existing and planned transportation systems
- Coordinating with internal staff and external partners regarding status of local and regional transportation projects
- Assisting with the review of funded transportation improvements to ensure consistency with Metropolitan
- Transportation Planning efforts
- Reviewing proposed roadway improvements in relation to the National Highway System and the Federal
- Functional Classification System
- Assisting supervisor in interpreting and analyzing travel demand forecast results
- Assisting with the analysis of traffic flow, roadway/transit capacity, environmental justice, and cost-benefit ratios
- Assisting with the preparation and analysis of maps utilizing GIS
- Drafting, preparing and delivering oral presentations
- Providing customer service to transportation partners and stakeholders
- Drafting correspondence, documentation, reports, articles and executive summaries
- Theoretical and/or working knowledge of travel demand forecasting process
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Proficient in Microsoft Office suite including Word, Outlook, PowerPoint, Excel, and Access
- Strong critical-thinking and problem-solving skills
- Ability to work effectively in a team environment
- Detail oriented, highly organized, and ability to multi-task
- Working knowledge of ESRI Geographic Information Systems (GIS) software is desired
- Working knowledge of TransCAD Transportation Planning software is desired
- Travel demand model experience is desired
- Bachelor’s degree in analytical, quantitative methods
- One year of job-related experience or less
Minimum of $36,976.00 per year
NCTCOG is a voluntary association of, by and for local governments, and was established to assist local governments in planning for common needs, cooperating for mutual benefit, and coordinating for sound regional development. NCTCOG’s purpose is to strengthen both the individual and collective power of local governments and to help them recognize regional opportunities, eliminate unnecessary duplication, and make joint decisions. Since 1974, NCTCOG has served as the Metropolitan Planning Organization for transportation in the Dallas-Fort Worth Metropolitan Area and is responsible for developing transportation plans and programs that address the complex needs of the rapidly growing area. The planning area for transportation includes the 12 counties of Collin, Dallas, Denton, Ellis, Hood, Hunt, Johnson, Kaufman, Parker, Rockwall, Tarrant, and Wise.
The agency offers generous benefits, a friendly atmosphere with open communications for cooperative decision making, and challenging opportunities. The environment encourages both individual and team growth, responsibility and innovation.
NCTCOG is recognized as a military-friendly employer and values the knowledge, experience, and skills acquired during your military service career. All qualified veterans are invited to apply.
NCTCOG is an equal opportunity employer/program. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, disability, veteran status, and other classifications covered under federal, state, or local laws. Auxiliary aids and services are available upon request to individuals with disabilities. All candidates must successfully pass a pre-employment drug screen and national criminal background check in order to receive an employment offer from NCTCOG.
The North Central Texas Council of Governments participates in the federal E-Verify program in order to verify a new employee’s authorization to work in the United States. Applicants must be lawfully authorized to work in the U.S.
Job postings are kept open for a minimum of 10 calendar days and may close anytime thereafter at the discretion of the hiring manager.
Equal Opportunity Employer