Transportation Planner I – Transportation Planning – Roadway (Hybrid)
Are you looking to join an award-winning organization with a culture built on innovation and public service? Are you looking for a position that offers a hybrid work schedule with work from home options?
The Transportation Department of the North Central Texas Council of Governments is seeking an entry-, mid-, or advanced-level Transportation Planner to support the maintenance and management of Geographic Information Systems (GIS) based travel demand model networks and associated travel forecasting analysis activities. This posting is for the entry-level Transportation Planner I position. Applicants wishing to be considered for this position should apply online at https://www.nctcog.org/Careers. To be considered for the mid-level Transportation Planner II or advanced-level Transportation Planner III positions or any other position that may currently be open, applicants need to apply online separately for those postings. All submittals should include a cover letter summarizing work experience, as well as a current resume.
The North Central Texas Council of Governments is currently permitting employees to work a hybrid schedule that consists of working part of each week in the NCTCOG offices in Arlington, Texas, and part of each week from home within the Dallas-Fort Worth Region.
Responsibilities may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Assisting with the maintenance of roadway and transit networks used in travel demand modeling
- Using Geographic Information Systems (GIS) tools to modify travel demand forecasting networks
- Gathering information from local governments and partner agencies, as well as utilizing media and web-based sources to monitor the status of existing and planned transportation systems
- Assisting with the review of proposed transportation improvements to ensure consistency with Metropolitan Transportation Planning efforts
- Reviewing proposed roadway improvements in relation to the National Highway System and the Federal Functional Classification System
- Working with supervisor to interpret and analyze travel demand forecast results
- Assisting with the conduct of analyses regarding topics such as traffic flow, roadway/transit capacity, environmental justice, and cost-benefit ratios
- Assisting with the preparation and analysis of maps utilizing GIS
- Drafting, preparing, and delivering oral presentations
- Providing customer service to transportation partners and stakeholders
- Drafting correspondence, documentation, reports, articles, and executive summaries
- Good verbal and written communication skills
- Proficient in Microsoft Office suite including Word, Outlook, PowerPoint, Excel, and Access
- Strong critical-thinking and problem-solving skills
- Ability to work effectively in a team environment
- Self-motivated, detail oriented, highly organized, and ability to multi-task
- Working knowledge of ESRI Geographic Information Systems (GIS) software is desired
- Working knowledge of TransCAD Transportation Planning software is desired
- Theoretical and/or working knowledge of travel demand forecasting process is desired
- Bachelor’s degree in analytical, quantitative methods
- One year of job-related experience or less
Starting Salary Range
Minimum of $42,347.00 – $50,816.40 per year
NCTCOG is a voluntary association of, by and for local governments, and was established to assist local governments in planning for common needs, cooperating for mutual benefit, and coordinating for sound regional development. NCTCOG’s purpose is to strengthen both the individual and collective power of local governments and to help them recognize regional opportunities, eliminate unnecessary duplication, and make joint decisions. Since 1974, NCTCOG has served as the Metropolitan Planning Organization for transportation in the Dallas-Fort Worth Metropolitan Area and is responsible for developing transportation plans and programs that address the complex needs of the rapidly growing area. The planning area for transportation includes the 12 counties of Collin, Dallas, Denton, Ellis, Hood, Hunt, Johnson, Kaufman, Parker, Rockwall, Tarrant, and Wise.
The agency offers generous benefits, a friendly atmosphere with open communications for cooperative decision making, and challenging opportunities. The environment encourages both individual and team growth, responsibility, and innovation.
NCTCOG is recognized as a military-friendly employer and values the knowledge, experience, and skills acquired during your military service career. All qualified veterans are invited to apply.
Equal Employment Opportunity Employer:
NCTCOG is an equal opportunity employer/program. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, disability, veteran status, and other classifications covered under federal, state, or local laws. Auxiliary aids and services are available upon request to individuals with disabilities.
Background Check & Drug Testing:
All selected candidates must undergo a pre-employment background check and drug screening. Background checks include national criminal background check, employment history, motor vehicle record check, social security verification, education verification, and other elements as needed. NCTCOG is committed to a safe and drug free workplace and performs pre-employment substance abuse testing. All new hires are required to undergo a drug test which detects the presence of illegal drugs for months prior to testing. We appreciate your cooperation in keeping NCTCOG safe and drug free. In order to receive an offer of employment from NCTCOG, selected candidates must successfully pass the pre-employment background check and drug screening.
The North Central Texas Council of Governments participates in the federal E-Verify program in order to verify a new employee’s authorization to work in the United States. Applicants must be lawfully authorized to work in the U.S.
Job postings are kept open for a minimum of 10 calendar days and may close anytime thereafter at the discretion of the hiring manager.
Equal Opportunity Employer