The North Central Texas Council of Governments Transportation Department is seeking an entry- or mid-level Transportation Planner to develop and implement strategies to support economic development, sustainable development, rail initiatives, transportation safety, and air quality initiatives related to goods movement. This posting is for the entry-level Transportation Planner I position. Applicants wishing to be considered for this position should apply online at https://mycogcareer.silkroad.com/. To be considered for the mid-level Transportation Planner II position or any other NCTCOG position that may currently be open, applicants need to apply online separately for those postings. All submittals should include a cover letter summarizing experience relevant to the areas outlined below, as well as a current resume.
Responsibilities may include, but are not limited to, the following
- Assisting with system and corridor planning studies
- Providing assistance in the development and research of efficient freight planning solutions for the North Central Texas region
- Providing assistance on rail-focused projects, including rail/road grade crossings
- Assisting with technical analyses related to safety, operations, and traffic
- Participating in data collection, maintenance, and mapping activities
- Assisting in the development of goals and objectives, work plans, and strategies
- Assisting with the preparation and delivery of oral presentations
- Drafting correspondence, technical reports and other documents
- Updating Website information
- Planning and attending meetings, events, and workshops
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Critical-thinking and problem-solving skills
- Ability to work both independently and in a team environment
- Strong analytical and technical skills
- Basic working knowledge of Geographic Information Systems (GIS)
- Transportation/regional planning knowledge/experience, with an interest in goods movement
- Bachelor’s degree in analytical, quantitative methods (i.e., Transportation Planning, City and Regional Planning, Geography or a related area)
- One year of job-related experience or less
Minimum of $36,976.00 annually
North Central Texas Council of Governments (NCTCOG)
The North Central Texas Council of Governments (NCTCOG) is a voluntary association of, by and for local governments, and was established to assist local governments in planning for common needs, cooperating for mutual benefit, and coordinating for sound regional development. NCTCOG’s purpose is to strengthen both the individual and collective power of local governments and to help them recognize regional opportunities, eliminate unnecessary duplication, and make joint decisions. Since 1974, the North Central Texas Council of Governments (NCTCOG) has served as the Metropolitan Planning Organization for transportation in the Dallas-Fort Worth Metropolitan Area and is responsible for developing transportation plans and programs that address the complex needs of the rapidly growing area. The planning area for transportation includes the 12 counties of Collin, Dallas, Denton, Ellis, Hood, Hunt, Johnson, Kaufman, Parker, Rockwall, Tarrant, and Wise.
The agency offers generous benefits, a friendly atmosphere with open communications for cooperative decision making, and challenging opportunities. The environment encourages both individual and team growth, responsibility and innovation.
NCTCOG is recognized as a military-friendly employer and values the knowledge, experience, and skills acquired during your military service career. All qualified veterans are invited to apply.
NCTCOG is an equal opportunity employer/program. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, disability, veteran status, and other classifications covered under federal, state, or local laws. Auxiliary aids and services are available upon request to individuals with disabilities. All candidates must successfully pass a pre-employment drug screen and national criminal background check in order to receive an employment offer from NCTCOG.
The North Central Texas Council of Governments participates in the federal E-Verify program in order to verify a new employee’s authorization to work in the United States. Applicants must be lawfully authorized to work in the U.S.
Job postings are kept open for a minimum of 10 calendar days and may close anytime thereafter at the discretion of the hiring manager.
Arlington, Texas, United States
Equal Opportunity Employer