- Job Description
The North Central Texas Council of Governments Transportation Department is seeking an Intern in the Sustainable Development program to provide assistance associated with data collection, Geographic Information Services (GIS) analysis, policy review, and sustainable transportation planning. This position will provide valuable experience in the area of planning for livability and multimodal transportation in the Dallas-Fort Worth region. Applicants wishing to be considered for this position should apply online at https://mycogcareer.silkroad.com/. NCTCOG is also seeking to fill other Intern positions. To be considered for one of those positions, or any other NCTCOG position that may currently be open, applicants must apply online separately for those postings. All submittals should include a cover letter summarizing related experience, as well as a current resume.
Ideal candidates should be able to work at least 25 hours a week while attending school.
NCTCOG is recognized as a military-friendly employer and values the knowledge, experience, and skills acquired during your military service career. All qualified veterans are invited to apply.
Responsibilities may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Assisting with the collection, processing, and analysis of land-use, transportation, and demographic data
- Assisting with the creation and editing of maps, and processing of spatial and tabular data using Geographic
- Information Systems (ESRI ArcGIS)
- Compiling and summarizing studies and writing reports
- Preparing public outreach and education materials
- Preparing presentations
- Serving as a representative of NCTCOG’s goals and mission
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Experience with Microsoft programs
- Familiarity with Geographic Information Systems (ESRI ArcGIS)
- Familiarity with publicly available data sources such as U.S. Census
- Detail-oriented, organized, and able to handle multiple tasks and tight deadlines
- Must be able to work independently and in a team environment
- Must be attending an accredited college or university during employment. Pursuit of a degree in urban planning, transportation, geography, or related field desired.
- No work experience required; at least one year of school-related experience desired
Starting at $11.43 per hour
The North Central Texas Council of Governments (NCTCOG) is a voluntary association of, by and for local governments, and was established to assist local governments in planning for common needs, cooperating for mutual benefit, and coordinating for sound regional development. NCTCOG’s purpose is to strengthen both the individual and collective power of local governments and to help them recognize regional opportunities, eliminate unnecessary duplication, and make joint decisions. Since 1974, the North Central Texas Council of Governments (NCTCOG) has served as the Metropolitan Planning Organization for transportation in the Dallas-Fort Worth Metropolitan Area and is responsible for developing transportation plans and programs that address the complex needs of the rapidly growing area. The planning area for transportation includes the 12 counties of Collin, Dallas, Denton, Ellis, Hood, Hunt, Johnson, Kaufman, Parker, Rockwall, Tarrant, and Wise.
The agency offers generous benefits, a friendly atmosphere with open communications for cooperative decision making, and challenging opportunities. The environment encourages both individual and team growth, responsibility and innovation.
NCTCOG is an equal opportunity employer/program. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, disability, veteran status, and other classifications covered under federal, state, or local laws. Auxiliary aids and services are available upon request to individuals with disabilities. All candidates must successfully pass a pre-employment drug screen and national criminal background check in order to receive an employment offer from NCTCOG.
The North Central Texas Council of Governments participates in the federal E-Verify program in order to verify a new employee’s authorization to work in the United States. Applicants must be lawfully authorized to work in the U.S.
Job postings are kept open for a minimum of 10 calendar days and may close anytime thereafter at the discretion of the hiring manager.
ARLINGTON, United States
Equal Opportunity Employer