Home to more than 7 million people, the Houston-Galveston region is one of the fastest growing and most diverse regions in the country. Making sure the region remains one of the nation’s leading places to live, work, and prosper doesn’t just happen—it takes planning and partnerships.
The Houston-Galveston Area Council serves as a forum where the region’s leaders and decision-makers come together to address local and regional issues related to transportation, the environment, public safety, aging, community planning, workforce training, and economic development. To support these efforts, the Houston-Galveston Area Council employs a robust team whose members are highly qualified, resourceful, and passionate about enhancing the region’s quality of life.
If you are looking for a career where you can help make a difference in urban, suburban, and rural communities, the Houston-Galveston Area Council has exciting opportunities for you. Learn more about why the Houston-Galveston Area Council is the right place for you to learn, grow, and excel.
H-GAC is looking for an individual to serve as the Equal Opportunity Officer for H-GAC’s workforce program. The Senior Equal Opportunity Coordinator will work with the Workforce Solutions Program and the Gulf Coast Workforce Board to ensure Federal Civil Rights laws are enforced and compliance is maintained with the State Methods of Administration. This individual will be charged with training and monitoring staff compliance in regard to applicable equal opportunity rules, practices, policies, procedures and laws. The selected candidate will be responsible for resolving equal employment opportunity complaints and will serve as the Gulf Coast Workforce Board appeals hearing officer. The best candidates will have knowledge of the compliance standards of the American’s with Disabilities Act (ADA). Experience in reviewing written policies to ensure nondiscrimination and developing procedures is critical for this role.
The successful candidate will have at a minimum:
• Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Public Service or a related field of study
• Applicable experience may substitute for education
• Proven understanding of Equal Employment Opportunity laws as well as other interrelated employment laws at the state and federal level
• Five (5) years’ experience in providing service to employers and customers that includes a minimum of two years in reviews of equal employment opportunity process, reviews, compliance, hearings and/or addressing complaints.
• Exposure to writing policy and procedure and ensuring compliance through audit and continued interaction with constituents.
Preferred qualifications include:
• Eight (8) years’ experience in providing service to employers and customers that includes a minimum of two years in reviews of equal employment opportunity process, reviews, compliance, hearings and/or addressing complaints.
Equal Opportunity Employer