Job Title: Regional Disaster Recovery Coordinator / Economic Development Specialist
Reports to: Executive Director / Regional Services Director
FLSA Status: Exempt (Full Time)
GENERAL DESCRIPTION This position will help develop and implement a regional disaster recovery and resiliency program, focusing efforts in the declared disaster counties of Jasper, Newton, Polk, Sabine, San Augustine, San Jacinto, and Tyler. Responsibilities include assessing needs, identifying potential resiliency, mitigation, and economic recovery projects in the region, providing technical assistance to help communities recover and capitalize on economic development opportunities.
EXAMPLES OF WORK PERFORMED
▪ Assist with the implementation of community and regional plans by assessing strengths, weaknesses, opportunities, and threats;
▪ Assist with the development of a regional Comprehensive Economic Development Strategy (CEDS);
▪ Assist the DETCOG Economic Development Committee, Hurricane Harvey Disaster Recovery Subcommittee, and other related committees as assigned;
▪ Build or strengthen partnerships with external partners in the public and private-sectors engaged in regional economic development and disaster recovery initiatives;
▪ Remain current on local, state, and federal regulations and policy-making pertaining to disaster recovery and economic and community development initiatives;
▪ Identify grants and other sources of revenue to pay for recommended investments in infrastructure, programs, and services, and assist in the preparation of grant applications and administration of grant programs;
▪ Performs related work as assigned.
Education and Experience
A degree from an accredited university in Business Administration, Public Administration, Public Policy, Community and Regional Planning, or related field is preferred, along with at least three years of
experience. Experience and education may be substituted for one another.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
▪ Strong written and verbal communication skills
▪ Ability to monitor and evaluate complex and technical programs
▪ Strong computer skills, including Microsoft Office applications
▪ Ability to review plans and apply provisions of the ordinances and codes to determine compliance with such regulations and to apply regulations to field conditions
▪ Ability to exercise good judgment and maintain confidentiality in maintaining critical and sensitive information, records, and reports
▪ Ability to use critical thinking skills to arrive at solutions and suggest improvements to processes
▪ Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work
▪ Ability to manage multiple priorities to ensure that deadlines are met
▪ Ability to prepare clear, accurate and concise records and reports
▪ Previous grant writing experience preferred
DETCOG CORE COMPETENCIES
▪ Leadership – Provides direction, motivation, and an example through open communication, optimism, and modeling best practices.
▪ Concern for Effectiveness – Demonstrates a commitment to producing the highest quality work possible, while monitoring long-term impact.
▪ Teamwork – Recognizes independence and talent of each member; fosters a climate of trust, works within the team structure, understands the team perspective, and commits to goal attainment.
▪ Communication – Ensures that key issues are addressed and that important information is shared quickly and effectively up, down, and across the organization.
▪ Customer Service – Consistently demonstrates respect, responsiveness, and professionalism towards others while providing superior service for customers.
POSITION SPECIFIC COMPETENCIES
▪ Working Autonomously – Ability to work without close supervision, taking responsibility to ensure tasks are completed on time, without error, and up to quality standards.
▪ Flexibility – Recognizes and responds to unanticipated events and requirements. Willing to do what is necessary to get the desired results.
▪ Travel – Valid Texas driver’s license, proof of insurance specified by the State of Texas, and dependable transportation for travel within the region.
▪ Must be able to pass required state and federal background checks and security clearances.
Projected salary range is $40,000 to $60,000 per year, depending on experience, with opportunity for advancement. Benefits include health insurance, retirement plan and other benefits.
Send completed DETCOG Employment Application and Resume to:
210 Premier Drive
Jasper, TX 75951
Or email to: CTrowbridge@detcog.org.
Application form can be found online at www.detcog.net under the “Notices & Resources” tab.
Until filled. Position is available immediately.
SPECIAL CONDITION OF EMPLOYMENT
Salaries of the Deep East Texas Council of Governments are funded by various state and federal grants; therefore, employment is conditioned on the availability of such funds.
Equal Opportunity Employer