Principal Planner – Clean Cities, Environmental, and Air Quality
About the Houston-Galveston Area Council
The Houston-Galveston Area Council is one of the largest regional planning commissions in the country with a diverse service area of 13 counties and more than 7 million people. We are the pulse of our region addressing issues that cross city limits and county lines every single day.
We make decisions that affect our transportation system, ensure the safety and well-being of our seniors, connect people to jobs, help families recover from natural disasters, preserve water quality for our children, and so much more. We work to make the region a great place to live, work, and thrive.
What will I be doing?
- Joining a team of motivated professionals at the 5th largest Metropolitan Planning Organization (MPO) in the country
- Creating and developing strategic plans to meet defined Environmental and Air Quality program goals and objectives
- Supporting the efforts of local, state, and federal agencies and stakeholders to improve air quality and transportation in the H-GAC service area
- Investigating potential strategies to help reduce pollutants. These may include but not be limited to ground-level ozone and its precursors, particulate matter, and greenhouse gases, among other pollutants
- Design, develop, implement, report and track outcomes for large scale air quality programs and projects which may include vehicle replacement programs, alternative fuels including electric vehicles, and air quality policy activities
- Pursuing funding opportunities (including federal, state, and foundation grants) for continuation of and expansion of program activities
- Coordinating committee and stakeholder meetings. Preparing meeting agendas, meeting notices and meeting minutes as well as developing educational materials and news articles for public outreach
- Knowledge of air quality emission reductions, transportation alternatives, and coalition building
- Experience working with agencies such as Environmental Protection Agency, Texas Commission on Environmental Quality, Texas Department of Transportation, and Federal Highway Administration
- Demonstrating strong teamwork, an “all hands-on deck” attitude when necessary on key department activities, and motivation to find creative approaches to improve the quality of life for our citizens
- Strong project management, communication and presentation skills are crucial for success in this role
- Demonstrated experience navigating federal and state environmental, transportation planning, and related regulations
Do you have…
- Bachelor’s degree in an applicable academic discipline or related field of study.
- 5 years of experience working with local government, nonprofit programs, school or in job related duties
H-GAC is an equal opportunity/AA employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, or protected veteran status.
Job Title: Principal Planner - Clean Cities, Environmental, and Air Quality
Employment Duration: Full time
Salary Range: $76,126.00 - $142,052.00