*Part-Time in Nacogdoches and Houston Counties
Reports to: Managing Local Ombudsman – Area Agency on Aging
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt (Part-Time)
Under general administrative direction to assist with the implementation of Title III programs and the
provision of technical assistance to public and private agencies within the Deep East Texas State Planning
Region pursuant to the provision of the Older Americans Act of 2000, and all relevant rules and regulations
issued by the U. S. Department of Health and Human Services, the Texas Department on Aging and
the Deep East Texas Council of Governments. Has regular contact with elderly residents of nursing homes
and their families, assisted living facilities, organizations of the elderly, representatives of state agencies,
private contractors, and the general public.
Examples of Work Performed:
- Visits nursing homes and/or assisted living facilities in the region serving as a liaison between the nursing home and the residents and their families to facilitate the best possible quality of life for the residents.
- Maintains a resource file for all licensed long-term care and assisted living facilities in the region and establishes working relationships with the administrators of these facilities.
- Monitors the schedule of and participates in Texas Department of Health (TDH) open hearings, surveys, and exit interviews in long-term care facilities in the region and coordinates the participation of Volunteer Ombudsmen members; coordinates long-term care activities with adult protective services and other appropriate agencies.
- Promotes the Long Term Care Ombudsman program through presentations and community outreach.
- Receives and processes complaints, requests for information regarding the long-term care system and the rights and concerns of residents and potential residents to long-term care facilities, resident’s families, community groups, and the general public.
- Assists in the evaluation of long-term care facilities and their staff.
- Maintains records in accordance with applicable rules, regulations, policies, and procedures, including protecting the identity, confidentiality, and privacy of clients and/or their representatives.
- Attends educational seminars concerning the elderly and maintains close contact with other involved agencies, such as the Texas Health and Human S Services.
- Performs such other related duties as may be assigned.
- Performs related work as assigned.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in gerontology, sociology, psychology, social work, public administration, or a related field, or
- High School graduation, or its equivalent, plus at least four years experience in social services work, or
- Any equivalent combination of experience and training which provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Knowledge of: the process of Ombudsman Program and Services.
Skill/Ability to: interpret and communicate to rules, regulations, and guidelines prepared by state and federal agencies relating to aging programs; establish and maintain effective working relationships with elderly citizens, citizen groups, ombudsman volunteers, and the general public; assess and evaluate projects; work independently; and demonstrate proficiency in both oral and written communication.
Certificates and Licenses Required:
- Certification as an Ombudsman by the Health and Human Services Commission;
- Appropriate Texas Driver’s license or available alternate means of transportation.
- Reliable transportation.
$11.00 per hour – $14.00 per hour__ depending on experience
Plus, limited benefits, retirement plan and other benefits.
Send completed DETCOG Employment Application and Resume to:
210 Premier Drive
Jasper, TX 75951
Or email to: CTrowbridge@detcog.org.
Application form can be found online at www.detcog.org under the “About DETCOG/Jobs & RFPs” link.
Special Condition of Employment:
Salaries of the Deep East Texas Council of Governments are funded by various state and federal grants; therefore, employment is conditioned on the availability of such funds.
Equal Opportunity Employer