IT Systems Intern
The North Central Texas Emergency Communications District (NCT9-1-1) is searching for an IT Systems Intern to join our Technology Team! NCT9-1-1 is an ideal environment for qualified students to develop their professional and technical skills while serving their community, saving lives, and making a difference!
The North Central Texas Emergency Communications District is responsible for over forty (40) Emergency Communication Centers (ECCs) in thirteen (13) counties and five (5) municipalities surrounding the Dallas/Fort Worth Metroplex. The Program supports these ECCs by maintaining and upgrading 9-1-1 equipment, providing up-to-date mapping information, training the 9-1-1 Telecommunicators, educating the public on the proper use of 9-1-1, and monitoring ECC functionality and compliances. The NCT9-1-1 Program serves a population of 1.9 million people and 10,800+ square miles.
As an IT Systems Intern, you will have exposure to all aspects of information technology. As a part of the Technology Team, you will help audit and validate solutions throughout the OSI model. Qualified candidates should be able to follow instructions and be able to ask the questions necessary to complete assigned tasks. The environment is fast-paced and pivots where resources are required. Candidates must have the ability to multitask/multi-switch while meeting deadlines. So, if you love technology and enjoy a challenge, this role is for you!
- Arlington, Texas
Compensation & Hours:
- Base rate of pay: $15.00 per hour
- Expected workload: 15-25 hours per week
- Term of internship: Summer Semester 2023. Candidates who exceed expectations could be considered for an extended internship beyond the Summer 2023 semester.
- NCT9-1-1 offers flexible schedules based on your class schedule.
Evaluation Metrics & Supervision:
- Direct Supervisor: 9-1-1 Chief Technology Officer
- Leadership and Direction: 9-1-1 Technology Team
- Evaluation Metrics:
- In addition to productivity-based evaluations:
- Students will complete Daily Activity Log
- Students will complete Weekly Reflection Summary
- Supervisor will complete Weekly Reflection Summary
- In addition to productivity-based evaluations:
The ideal candidate will perform the following duties:
- Drive to remote locations to do physical validations.
- Data entry to DCIM
- Work through documentation to correct any errors.
- Validation of configuration consistencies
- Ad hoc project work and research
Education & Experience:
The ideal candidate holds the following education/experience:
- Currently enrolled in a college/university with coursework related to software engineering, programming, computer science, or a similar field.
- Undergraduate students holding a minimum of “Junior” status are preferred.
- Students with a GPA of at least 3.0 at the time of application submission are preferred.
- Graduate students are encouraged to apply.
Skills & Knowledge:
The ideal candidate holds the following skills:
- A strong working knowledge of: Microsoft Outlook, Microsoft Teams, Microsoft Word, and Microsoft Excel.
- Familiarity with Cisco equipment and Cisco IOS; TCP/IP Protocols, Fast/Gigabit Ethernet network implementation; Router, Switch, and Wireless configuration; Modems, Terminal Servers, Dialup Servers; Security Authentication for Radius and TACACS, HTML, Python, Linus Red Hat or SUSE, Winows,7/10, Android.
- Familiarity with Agile methodology.
- A vigorous work ethic.
- The ability to collaborate well with individuals and groups.
- The ability to meet deadlines and complete all tasks with excellence.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Strong communication skills.
- A desire and willingness to learn more about emergency communications and the role NCT9-1-1 plays in saving lives.
- A passion for the mission of NCT9-1-1: Saving Lives & Making a Difference!
Our office is a dynamic and challenging environment where interns have the opportunity to learn about 9-1-1 operations and the public safety sector. Interning at NCT9-1-1 is a fantastic place for college students to begin developing their professional network. In addition to the Emergency Communication Centers we support, we also work closely with numerous colleagues and partners all over Texas and in many other parts of the country.
If you are excited about the opportunity to use your skills to serve the public, please visit our agency’s career page at www.nctcog.org/careers to apply. All submissions must include a cover letter summarizing work experience, as well as a current resume.
Equal Employment Opportunity Employer:
NCTCOG is an equal opportunity employer/program. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, disability, veteran status, and other classifications covered under federal, state, or local laws. Auxiliary aids and services are available upon request to individuals with disabilities.
Background Check & Drug Testing:
All selected candidates must undergo a pre-employment background check and drug screening. Background checks include national criminal background check, employment history, motor vehicle record check, social security verification, education verification, and other elements as needed. NCTCOG is committed to a safe and drug free workplace and performs pre-employment substance abuse testing. All new hires are required to undergo a drug test which detects the presence of illegal drugs for months prior to testing. We appreciate your cooperation in keeping NCTCOG safe and drug free. In order to receive an offer of employment from NCTCOG, selected candidates must successfully pass the pre-employment background check and drug screening.
The North Central Texas Council of Governments participates in the federal E-Verify program in order to verify a new employee’s authorization to work in the United States. Applicants must be lawfully authorized to work in the U.S.
Job postings are kept open for a minimum of 10 calendar days and may close anytime thereafter at the discretion of the hiring manager.
Job Title: IT Systems Intern
Job Type: Internship
Location: NCTCOG – ARLINGTON, TX 76011 US
Equal Opportunity Employer