- Job Description
- The North Central Texas Council of Governments Transportation Department is seeking Interns to support its public involvement and government relations program. Primary work functions include contributing to outreach and communication efforts related to transportation projects and programs. Applicants wishing to be considered for this position should apply online at https://mycogcareer.silkroad.com/. To be considered for any other NCTCOG position that may currently be open, including other internship opportunities, applicants need to apply online separately for those postings. Qualified candidates must be attending an accredited college or university while in the position and able to work at the NCTCOG offices in Arlington, Texas. All submittals should include a cover letter summarizing work experience, as well as a current resume.
Ideal candidates should be able to work at least 25 hours per week while attending school.
Responsibilities may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Drafting website, social media and publication content
- Researching new opportunities and best practices for expanding social media efforts and traditional print and online publications
- Assisting with the planning of public meetings or other outreach opportunities
- Gathering and organizing materials for public meetings or community events
- Assisting in the development and maintenance of databases, including data entry, for a variety of initiatives
- Assisting with the maintenance of the Transportation Department library
- Assisting with public engagement to communities not typically involved in the transportation planning process
- Assisting with public relations to the business community
- Maintaining reports on the reach and effectiveness of social media and public involvement efforts
- Assisting with web updates
- Assisting with evaluation of communications/outreach elements through data tracking and analysis
- Assisting with elements of marketing/outreach campaigns
- Required Skills
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Publisher and Outlook
- Knowledge of Microsoft Access software desired
- Knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite desired
- Good verbal and written communication skills and interpersonal skills
- Detail oriented, organized, creative, and ability to handle multiple tasks and tight deadlines
- Must be able to work independently and in a team environment
- Required Experience
- Must be attending an accredited college or university during employment.
- No work experience required. Pursuit of a degree in communications, planning, public administration, or political science desired, but not required.
Minimum of $11.43 per hour
The North Central Texas Council of Governments (NCTCOG) is a voluntary association of, by and for local governments, and was established to assist local governments in planning for common needs, cooperating for mutual benefit, and coordinating for sound regional development. NCTCOG’s purpose is to strengthen both the individual and collective power of local governments and to help them recognize regional opportunities, eliminate unnecessary duplication, and make joint decisions. Since 1974, NCTCOG has served as the Metropolitan Planning Organization for transportation in the Dallas-Fort Worth Metropolitan Area and is responsible for developing transportation plans and programs that address the complex needs of the rapidly growing area. The planning area for transportation includes the 12 counties of Collin, Dallas, Denton, Ellis, Hood, Hunt, Johnson, Kaufman, Parker, Rockwall, Tarrant, and Wise.
The agency offers generous benefits, a friendly atmosphere with open communications for cooperative decision making, and challenging opportunities. The environment encourages both individual and team growth, responsibility and innovation.
NCTCOG is recognized as a military-friendly employer and values the knowledge, experience, and skills acquired during your military service career. All qualified veterans are invited to apply.
NCTCOG is an equal opportunity employer/program. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, disability, veteran status, and other classifications covered under federal, state, or local laws. Auxiliary aids and services are available upon request to individuals with disabilities. All candidates must successfully pass a pre-employment drug screen and national criminal background check in order to receive an employment offer from NCTCOG.
The North Central Texas Council of Governments participates in the federal E-Verify program in order to verify a new employee’s authorization to work in the United States. Applicants must be lawfully authorized to work in the U.S.
Job postings are kept open for a minimum of 10 calendar days and may close anytime thereafter at the discretion of the hiring manager.
- Job Location
- Arlington, Texas, United States
- Position Type
Equal Opportunity Employer