The North Central Texas Council of Governments (NCTCOG) Transportation Department is seeking an Intern to support the department’s Transportation Safety program. Applicants wishing to be considered for this position should apply online at https://jobs.silkroad.com/NCTCOG/Careers. To be considered for another Intern position or any other NCTCOG position that may currently be open, applicants need to apply online separately for those postings. Qualified candidates must be attending an accredited college or university while in the position and able to work at the NCTCOG offices in Arlington, Texas. All submittals should include a cover letter summarizing work experience, as well as a current resume.
Ideal candidates should be able to work at least 20 hours a week while attending school.
Responsibilities may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Assisting with the collection, processing, maintenance, and analysis of regional safety data, which may include crash, fatality, and hazardous material spill data
- Assisting with data collection, data entry and analysis activities for the Mobility Assistance Patrol Program, Traffic Incident Management Program, Wrong Way Driving Mitigation Project, and Intersection Safety Improvement Program
- Assisting with collection and analysis of regional incident management performance data
- Assisting with regional and federal safety performance tracking and reporting requirements
- Assisting with coordination efforts to promote transportation safety related activities and initiatives
- Compiling and maintaining databases and spreadsheets while ensuring data accuracy
- Producing charts, maps, plots, and reports, and working with supervisor to interpret, analyze and manipulate data
- Utilizing Geographical Information Systems (GIS) software
- Working knowledge in Word, Outlook, PowerPoint, Access and Excel
- Analytical, critical-thinking and problem-solving skills
- Ability to create, maintain, and manipulate databases, maps, queries, and tables
- Experience using ESRI GIS software
- Detail-oriented, organized, fast learner, and the ability to handle multiple tasks and tight deadlines
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to coordinate and communicate effectively with other team members
- Good interpersonal skills
- Ability to work independently, in a team environment, and in time-sensitive situations
- Must be attending an accredited college or university during employment. Pursuit of a degree in a related field desired.
- No work experience required, at least one year of school-related experience preferred.
Minimum of $11.43 per hour
The North Central Texas Council of Governments (NCTCOG) is a voluntary association of, by and for local governments, and was established to assist local governments in planning for common needs, cooperating for mutual benefit, and coordinating for sound regional development. NCTCOG’s purpose is to strengthen both the individual and collective power of local governments and to help them recognize regional opportunities, eliminate unnecessary duplication, and make joint decisions. Since 1974, the North Central Texas Council of Governments has served as the Metropolitan Planning Organization for transportation in the Dallas-Fort Worth Metropolitan Area and is responsible for developing transportation plans and programs that address the complex needs of the rapidly growing area. The planning area for transportation includes the 12 counties of Collin, Dallas, Denton, Ellis, Hood, Hunt, Johnson, Kaufman, Parker, Rockwall, Tarrant, and Wise.
The agency offers generous benefits, a friendly atmosphere with open communications for cooperative decision making, and challenging opportunities. The environment encourages both individual and team growth, responsibility and innovation.
NCTCOG is recognized as a military-friendly employer and values the knowledge, experience, and skills acquired during your military service career. All qualified veterans are invited to apply.
NCTCOG is an equal opportunity employer/program. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, disability, veteran status, and other classifications covered under federal, state, or local laws. Auxiliary aids and services are available upon request to individuals with disabilities. All candidates must successfully pass a pre-employment drug screen and national criminal background check in order to receive an employment offer from NCTCOG.
The North Central Texas Council of Governments participates in the federal E-Verify program in order to verify a new employee’s authorization to work in the United States. Applicants must be lawfully authorized to work in the U.S.
Job postings are kept open for a minimum of 10 calendar days and may close anytime thereafter at the discretion of the hiring manager.
We are committed to providing equal employment opportunities for all employment actions, including but not limited to recruitment, hiring, training, promotion, transfer, and compensation without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex (including gender identity, sexual orientation, and pregnancy), age, genetic information, disability, veteran status, political affiliation, or other protected class.
If you are an applicant with a disability and need an accommodation in order to apply for a position with NCTCOG, please contact Human Resources by calling 817-695-9234 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Equal Opportunity Employer