Geographic Information Systems (GIS)/Data Solutions Analyst I
Are you looking to join an award-winning organization with a culture built on innovation and public service? Are you looking for a position that offers a hybrid work schedule with work from home options?
The Transportation Department of the North Central Texas Council of Governments is seeking entry-level GIS/Data Solutions Analysts to support the Transportation Department’s GIS and Data Solutions team. This position will assist with various activities and initiatives that further the team’s mission to organize, analyze, and disseminate data in support of data-driven transportation planning processes. Specific tasks will include assistance with data creation, analysis, and synthesis activities using appropriate software; creating and maintaining static and dynamic, interactive mapping products; and assistance with the automation of repetitive tasks using a basic knowledge of appropriate scripting languages. Applicants wishing to be considered for this position should apply online at https://www.nctcog.org/Careers. To be considered for any other NCTCOG position that may currently be open, applicants need to apply online separately for those postings. All submittals should include a cover letter summarizing work experience, as well as a current resume.
The North Central Texas Council of Governments is currently permitting employees to work a hybrid schedule that consists of working part of each week in the NCTCOG offices in Arlington, Texas, and part of each week remotely from home within the Dallas-Fort Worth Region.
Responsibilities may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Using specialized GIS software such as ArcGIS for creation, maintenance, and visualization of specialized geographic datasets
- Using specialized data analysis tools and platforms such as SQL Server, R, Pandas, Access, Excel, and others for the creation, maintenance, and analysis of large datasets
- Assisting with the creation of maps, reports, dashboards, presentations, and other materials to succinctly display and summarize relevant data and communicate the results of analyses
- Using basic knowledge of online mapping platforms and tools such as ArcGIS Online to distribute data and maps to external users as appropriate.
- Using basic knowledge of scripting languages commonly associated with GIS and data analysis such as Python, ArcPy, R, SQL, and others to automate and streamline analysis tasks
- Assisting with data maintenance operations including gathering, cleaning, geocoding, and integrating data from multiple sources; compiling, inventorying, and maintaining databases; and converting data to and from various formats
- Conducting assisted research that includes external communication and, on rare occasions, fieldwork
- Assisting with the evaluation of information and data from outside sources to determine the quality of input data sources
- Staying current on GIS and data analysis technologies and techniques through interaction with other professionals and review of industry literature
- Coordinating with internal and external stakeholders
- Basic to intermediate knowledge of fundamental GIS principles and the ESRI ArcGIS platform, including manipulation of GIS datasets, spatial analysis, and interactive online mapping applications
- Ability to manipulate and analyze large datasets using a variety of analysis tools including but not limited to ArcGIS
- Working knowledge of at least one common programming/scripting language used in data analysis, including but not limited to Python, ArcPy, Pandas, R, or SQL
- Knowledge of basic principles of cartography and demonstrated ability to create mapping products for a variety of audiences
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office suite including Excel, Access, Word, PowerPoint, and Outlook
- Detail-oriented, organized, and able to handle multiple tasks and tight deadlines
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and interpersonal skills
- Must be able to work independently and in a team environment
- Bachelor’s degree in analytical, quantitative methods
- One year of job-related experience or less
Starting Salary Range
Minimum of $48,030.00 – $57,636.00 annually
NCTCOG is a voluntary association of, by and for local governments, and was established to assist local governments in planning for common needs, cooperating for mutual benefit, and coordinating for sound regional development. NCTCOG’s purpose is to strengthen both the individual and collective power of local governments and to help them recognize regional opportunities, eliminate unnecessary duplication, and make joint decisions. Since 1974, NCTCOG has served as the Metropolitan Planning Organization for transportation in the Dallas-Fort Worth Metropolitan Area and is responsible for developing transportation plans and programs that address the complex needs of the rapidly growing area. The planning area for transportation includes the 12 counties of Collin, Dallas, Denton, Ellis, Hood, Hunt, Johnson, Kaufman, Parker, Rockwall, Tarrant, and Wise.
The agency offers generous benefits, a friendly atmosphere with open communications for cooperative decision making, and challenging opportunities. The environment encourages both individual and team growth, responsibility, and innovation.
NCTCOG is recognized as a military-friendly employer and values the knowledge, experience, and skills acquired during your military service career. All qualified veterans are invited to apply.
Equal Employment Opportunity Employer:
NCTCOG is an equal opportunity employer/program. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, disability, veteran status, and other classifications covered under federal, state, or local laws. Auxiliary aids and services are available upon request to individuals with disabilities.
Background Check & Drug Testing:
All selected candidates must undergo a pre-employment background check and drug screening. Background checks include national criminal background check, employment history, motor vehicle record check, social security verification, education verification, and other elements as needed. NCTCOG is committed to a safe and drug free workplace and performs pre-employment substance abuse testing. All new hires are required to undergo a drug test which detects the presence of illegal drugs for months prior to testing. We appreciate your cooperation in keeping NCTCOG safe and drug free. In order to receive an offer of employment from NCTCOG, selected candidates must successfully pass the pre-employment background check and drug screening.
The North Central Texas Council of Governments participates in the federal E-Verify program in order to verify a new employee’s authorization to work in the United States. Applicants must be lawfully authorized to work in the U.S.
Job postings are kept open for a minimum of 10 calendar days and may close anytime thereafter at the discretion of the hiring manager.
Job Title: Geographic Information Systems (GIS)/Data Solutions Analyst I
Job Type: Full-Time
Category: Transportation Planning
Location: NCTCOG – ARLINGTON, TX 76011 US (Primary)
Equal Opportunity Employer