The North Central Texas Council of Governments Transportation Department is seeking an Intern to support long-range metropolitan transportation planning activities. Applicants wishing to be considered for this position should apply online at https://jobs.silkroad.com/NCTCOG/Careers. To be considered for another Intern position or any other NCTCOG position that may currently be open, applicants need to apply online separately for those postings. Qualified candidates must be attending an accredited college or university while in the position and able to work at the NCTCOG offices in Arlington, Texas. All submittals should include a cover letter summarizing work experience, as well as a current resume.
Ideal candidates should be able to work at least 25 hours per week while attending school.
Responsibilities may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Assisting with mapping and data activities for the development of the region’s Metropolitan Transportation Plan
- Editing and maintaining Geographic Information Systems (GIS) datasets
- Analyzing and mapping travel demand model results
- Assisting with manipulation and interpretation of large observed datasets and forecasts
- Assisting with creation and maintenance of web mapping products in ArcGIS Online and other platforms
- Responding to technical assistance and data requests
- Participating in plan development processes and discussions
- Basic knowledge of GIS principles and the ESRI ArcGIS platform, including map production, manipulation of GIS datasets, spatial analysis, and interactive online mapping applications
- Some introductory knowledge of common programming/scripting languages used in data analysis, including Python, Pandas, SQL, and others preferred
- Ability to manipulate and analyze large datasets using a variety of analysis tools including, but not limited to, ArcGIS
- Knowledge of basic principles of cartography
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office suite including Excel, Access, Word, PowerPoint, and Outlook
- Detail-oriented, organized, and able to handle multiple tasks and tight deadlines
- Strong verbal and written communication skills and interpersonal skills
- Must be able to work independently and in a team environment
- Hands-on experience with ArcGIS and other ESRI tools in classroom or work settings
- Must be attending an accredited college or university during employment. Pursuit of a degree in a related field desired.
- No work experience required; at least one year of school-related experience preferred.
We are committed to providing equal employment opportunities for all employment actions, including but not limited to recruitment, hiring, training, promotion, transfer, and compensation without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex (including gender identity, sexual orientation, and pregnancy), age, genetic information, disability, veteran status, political affiliation, or other protected class. If you are an applicant with a disability and need an accommodation in order to apply for a position with NCTCOG, please contact Human Resources by calling 817-695-9234 or by email at email@example.com.