The North Central Texas Council of Governments Transportation Department is seeking an Intern to support long-range metropolitan transportation planning activities. Applicants wishing to be considered for this position should apply online at https://mycogcareer.silkroad.com/. To be considered for any other NCTCOG position that may currently be open, applicants need to apply online separately for those postings. Qualified candidates must be attending an accredited college or university while in the position and able to work at the NCTCOG offices in Arlington, Texas. All submittals should include a cover letter summarizing work experience, as well as a current resume.
Ideal candidates should be able to work at least 25 hours per week while attending school.
Responsibilities may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Assisting with mapping and data support for the development of the region’s Metropolitan Transportation Plan
- Editing and maintaining GIS datasets
- Analyzing and mapping travel demand model results
- Assisting with manipulation and interpretation of large observed datasets and forecasts
- Assisting with creation and maintenance of web mapping products in ArcGIS Online and other platforms
- Responding to technical assistance and data requests
- Participating in plan development processes and discussions
- Introductory knowledge of common programming/scripting languages used in data analysis, Python, SQL, R, and others preferred
- Ability to manipulate and analyze large datasets using a variety of analysis tools, including but not limited to, ArcGIS
- Knowledge of basic principles of cartography
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office suite including Excel, Access, Word, PowerPoint, and Outlook
- Detail-oriented, organized, and able to handle multiple tasks and tight deadlines
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Good interpersonal skills
- Must be able to work independently and in a team environment
- Must be attending an accredited college or university during employment.
- No work experience required. Pursuit of a degree in a related field desired and at least one year of school-related experience preferred
- Experience with GIS and the ArcGIS platform, including principles of cartography, editing/digitizing features, map production, and interactive online mapping applications
The North Central Texas Council of Governments (NCTCOG) is a voluntary association of, by and for local governments, and was established to assist local governments in planning for common needs, cooperating for mutual benefit, and coordinating for sound regional development. NCTCOG’s purpose is to strengthen both the individual and collective power of local governments and to help them recognize regional opportunities, eliminate unnecessary duplication, and make joint decisions. Since 1974, NCTCOG has served as the Metropolitan Planning Organization for transportation in the Dallas-Fort Worth Metropolitan Area and is responsible for developing transportation plans and programs that address the complex needs of the rapidly growing area. The planning area for transportation includes the 12 counties of Collin, Dallas, Denton, Ellis, Hood, Hunt, Johnson, Kaufman, Parker, Rockwall, Tarrant, and Wise.
The agency offers generous benefits, a friendly atmosphere with open communications for cooperative decision making, and challenging opportunities. The environment encourages both individual and team growth, responsibility and innovation.
NCTCOG is recognized as a military-friendly employer and values the knowledge, experience, and skills acquired during your military service career. All qualified veterans are invited to apply.
The North Central Texas Council of Governments participates in the federal E-Verify program in order to verify a new employee’s authorization to work in the United States. Applicants must be lawfully authorized to work in the U.S.
Job postings are kept open for a minimum of 10 calendar days and may close anytime thereafter at the discretion of the hiring manager.
NCTCOG is an equal opportunity employer/program. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, disability, veteran status, and other classifications covered under federal, state, or local laws. Auxiliary aids and services are available upon request to individuals with disabilities. All candidates must successfully pass a pre-employment drug screen and national criminal background check in order to receive an employment offer from NCTCOG.