Who We Are: Check out www.txregionalism.org or @txregionalism on X.com to find out more about us!
Summary of Position:
The Director of Community Programs provides information and assistance to councils of governments (COGs) to expand regional opportunities for economic development planning and health and human services programs in Texas by facilitating educational opportunities, coordinating the exchange of information and ideas, and providing technical assistance for the 24 Economic Development Districts (EDDs) located in the COGs and the 28 Area Agencies on Aging (AAAs) throughout the state.
This is a responsible, non-supervisory administrative and communications and collaborative position. The Director of Community Programs works closely with the Executive Director and Associate Director to increase coordination, support, efficiencies, and effectiveness of TARC programming, specifically activities related to AAAs and community and economic development. The responsibilities of this position include providing support to the TARC team and its member governments. The ideal applicant will be detail-oriented and well-organized with a positive, friendly attitude. The applicant must be passionate about Texas, dedicated to public service, self-motivated and productive in a small, dynamic association environment.
Duties include but are not limited to: working with the Texas Association of Area Agencies on Aging (T4A) membership to support AAA services; supporting regional community and economic development planning activities; representing the Association at stakeholder meetings, serving on various advisory committees, applying for and managing grant-funded projects, and planning and coordinating conferences, meetings, and trainings, including the annual Aging in Texas Conference. In addition, the Director of Community Programs will strengthen interaction among members and external state and federal partners.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to communicate courteously and professionally in writing and verbally; establish timelines and meet deadlines.
- Confidence in public speaking, leading virtual meetings and public presentations; resourceful team player.
- Design and implement action plans to meet program needs.
- Ability to use critical thinking and problem-solving skills to assist internal and external stakeholders.
- Receive and effectively manage work from multiple people.
- Work independently with minimal supervision, establishing timelines, meeting deadlines.
- Ability to manage time and work virtually.
Education and Experience:
- Master’s degree in social sciences, public administration, or a related field (preferred), OR
- Bachelor's degree plus at least two years of experience in social services programs OR
- Any equivalent combination of experience and training which provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities.
- Experience in nonprofit work, philanthropy or member-based organizations a plus.
Other Requirements: Applicant must hold a valid driver’s license and be able to drive or have alternate means of transportation. Occasional early morning and/or evening work may be required. Occasional travel within Texas is required. Full-time position with hybrid/remote work opportunity.
To support TARC in serving the regional aging and economic development programs with an emphasis on quality, continuous improvement, and teamwork, the Director of Community Programs will:
- Support the coordination of programs, initiatives, events, and activities to deliver information and resources to member organizations.
- Support enhancing participation and engagement by membership in TARC activities.
- Plan and coordinate meetings, conferences, and trainings, both in-person and virtual, including the development of pre- and post-event communications, content, and resources to support regional health & human service and community & economic development programs.
- Support the Association with research, analysis, organization, and development of resources to enhance and promote regional programs and efforts through statewide communications, social media posts, and targeted outreach to internal and external stakeholders.
- Maintain a working knowledge of aging and economic development services administered by councils of governments, area agencies on aging and economic development districts in Texas.
- Support the Association with identifying and collaborating with partner organizations to strengthen regional programs and programmatic efforts.
- Support the planning, development and implementation of new programs and project initiatives related to regional and statewide goals.
- Communicate and work effectively with local and state officials and community and state leaders to plan, develop, and implement educational summits, special projects, and interaction with regional councils, Economic Development Districts and Area Agencies on Aging.
- Serve as the project lead for the Aging in Texas Conference, including coordinating planning activities, negotiating vendor contracts, developing and distributing marketing materials, tracking revenue, expenditures, speakers, sponsors, exhibitors and attendees.
- Assist TARC to strengthen its interaction with Community and Economic Development stakeholders, including Economic Development Districts.
- Support strategic projects and initiatives.
- Identify, apply for, and manage potential grant funding to support regional aging and economic development activities.
- Monitor state policy and regulations related to aging and economic development by tracking, regularly attending, and contributing to relevant meetings, advisory committees, and workgroups.
- Communicate regularly with T4A and TARC membership regarding new developments and potential opportunities in aging services, coordinating conference calls and workgroups as needed.
- Provide regular updates on program activities to T4A membership, EDD staff, TARC Associate Director and/or TARC Executive Director, and other parties as directed.
- Provide regular updates to TARC team members in staff meetings.
- Maintain positive member relations and can-do attitude.
- Other duties as assigned.
To apply please submit cover letter and resume to email@example.com. No phone calls please. Applications will be accepted until position is filled. TARC is an equal opportunity employer.