Under general direction of the Executive Director, assist all program personnel in successfully meeting the goals, objectives and requirements of their respective programs and serves as a resource in the operation of the Brazos Valley Council of Governments and its affiliated non-profits and/or third party contractors. Plans directs and manages multiple assigned departments/programs. Responsible for the supervision and performance evaluation of staff, coordinates subordinate activities with other BVCOG Deputy Director(s). Ensures consistency of goals, policies, technical/administrative procedures, management direction and other work as required. Reports directly to the Executive Director.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Maintain direct communications with the Executive Director of activities occurring within Council Programs.
- Serves as the primary contact in the organizational chain of command to all areas assigned by the Executive Director of the BVCOG.
- Assists all program managers and other staff members with any aspect of their respective programs as may be required to assure successful operation of all activities.
- Assist the Executive Director in the day-to-day management and operation of the Council, including duties as may be assigned in the Executive Director’s absence.
- Works in concert with other the Deputy Director(s) to achieve Council directives, policy implementation to ensure successful completion of program outcomes.
- Attends meetings and workshops necessary to acquire and maintain technical knowledge on all Council programs and administration.
- Work as a team member with the Administrative team staff to the overall benefit of the Council.
Master’s degree in Business or Public Administration or in Urban and Regional Planning, preferred. At least 5 years of senior management experience in planning, budgeting, organizing, directing and controlling a division of programs preferred. Additional experience may substitute for a Master’s Degree. Must be knowledgeable in public budgeting and personnel management including relationships of policies and procedures on staff productivity and morale, standard practices for organizational efficiency, assessing training needs of staff and management of workloads. Program budgeting, financial experience and experience in preparing for and responding to public and private grants preferred, but not required. Must have excellent communication skills. Must be people-oriented and be able to work effectively with public and private officials. Experience should include progressive responsibilities and experience in managing personnel
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
The ability to accept or recognize the viewpoints of others, and work with a variety of persons from public and private agencies; Ability to communicate well, orally and in writing, to prepare written descriptions, computer graphics, maps and summaries that effectively communicate the results of research, identified needs, and recommended actions to a variety of audiences; Ability to carry out directed research, gathering and analyzing facts, which are part of a larger study; Accurate knowledge of Council goals, policies, and programs. The ability to develop, organize and implement programs, establish priorities and meet deadlines. Experience and enthusiasm for intergovernmental involvement, and public communication skills, including group process methods and graphic presentations are needed. Skills with community organizing including coordinating regional events/activities, public relations, and education, and ability to enlist diverse groups into the planning effort are preferred. Must be able to sit, stand, walk, carry at least 20 lbs.; work both in person and virtual formats; operate a variety of office machines, phones and computers. Must be able to use a variety of Microsoft Office applications, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook.
Exercises assigned supervisory responsibilities of Council staff as outlined in the Council’s Organizational Chart. Reports directly to the Executive Director.
Equal Opportunity Employer