About Houston-Galveston Area Council
The Houston-Galveston Area Council is one of the largest regional planning commissions in the country with a diverse service area of 13 counties and more than 7 million people. We are the pulse of our region addressing issues that cross city limits and county lines every single day.
We make decisions that affect our transportation system, ensure the safety and well-being of our seniors, connect people to jobs, help families recover from natural disasters, preserve water quality for our children, and so much more. We work to make the region a great place to live, work, and thrive.
What will I be doing?
- Assist in developing and managing the regional and sub-regional demographic, economic and land use forecasting models and tools for transportation planning, economic development, flood mitigation and community and environmental planning
- Collect, process, and analyze demographic, economic and real estate data from US Census Bureau, other federal/state agencies, county appraisal districts, and private data sources
- Provide technical and analytical support and serve as a point of contact for internal and external requests for data
- Quality control to ensure the accuracy and integrity of data and providing innovative solutions to improve forecasting efforts is an integral part of this job
- Experience in data frames, data set designs, maintaining large volumes of data, producing forecasting models and reporting
- Strong experience in reading and writing SAS code for data processing and management is crucial for success in this role
- Background in demographic and economic theory and models
- Experience in analyzing Census, employment, and real estate data
- Strong hands-on experience in BASE SAS, SAS SQL, and SAS MACRO
- Proven experience with population, employment, and land use forecast modeling
- Familiarity with GIS and experience working with and visualizing spatial data
Do you have…
- Bachelor’s degree with an internship in an applicable academic discipline or related field of study
- Three (3) years of experience working with local government, nonprofit programs, human service or in job related duties
H-GAC is an equal opportunity/AA employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, or protected veteran status.
Equal Opportunity Employer