Houston-Galveston Area Council Overview
Home to more than 7 million people, the Houston-Galveston region is one of the fastest growing and most diverse regions in the country. Making sure the region remains one of the nation’s leading places to live, work, and prosper doesn’t just happen—it takes planning and partnerships.
The Houston-Galveston Area Council serves as a forum where the region’s leaders and decision-makers come together to address local and regional issues related to transportation, the environment, public safety, aging, community planning, workforce training, and economic development. To support these efforts, the Houston-Galveston Area Council employs a robust team whose members are highly qualified, resourceful, and passionate about enhancing the region’s quality of life.
If you are looking for a career where you can help make a difference in urban, suburban, and rural communities, the Houston-Galveston Area Council has exciting opportunities for you. Learn more about why the Houston-Galveston Area Council is the right place for you to learn, grow, and excel.
H-GAC is seeking a Data Analyst to provide assistance and technical support related to the development of the Transportation Improvement Program, the 10-Year Plan, and the Regional Transportation Plan. In addition, the individual will be responsible for maintaining the project tracking database. Responsibilities also include the timely response to data inquiries. This position will also assist in the development and maintenance of informative dashboards that convey various types of transportation metrics. Creating and maintaining databases using MS Access and MS SQL Server including supporting database performance by monitoring database performance; evaluating and resolving processing and programming problems; designing database management tools; answering user questions. Job duties include but not limited to the following:
- Work with project leads and supervisor to create queries, tables, views, forms, reports, and macros
- Support the development of visual dashboards of transportation programming and planning information
- Assisting in the administration of State, federal and regional transportation funding programs by supporting the preparation of Transportation Improvement Program, the 10-year Plan, the Regional Transportation Plan and annual reports (e.g., Annual Project Listing)
- Performing quality control checks on database inputs
- Responding to TIP/RTP data inquiries as directed by supervisor
- Coordination with other team members and external partners
The successful candidate will have at a minimum:
- Bachelor’s degree in Urban Planning, Transportation Planning, Data Analytics or related field
- Three (3) years’ experience in urban or regional planning, public administration, monitoring and reporting, data analysis, database administration
- Thorough knowledge of transportation and land use planning, policies, regulations and best management practices.
- Ability to create and maintain visually appealing and informative dashboards using Tableau
- Must possess strong analytical and critical reasoning skills
- Must be proficient at collecting, sorting and compiling data for analysis
- Working technical knowledge in MS Excel and understand how to efficiently manipulate tables, charts, graphs, pivot tables, and functions
- Working technical knowledge in MS Access and MS SQL Server and understand how to create, maintain, and manipulate databases, tables, queries, forms, reports, store procedures, and macros.
Preferred Qualifications Include:
- Five (5) years’ experience in urban and regional planning, public administration
- Proficiency in administering databases using MS SQL Server Management Studio
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications and database software.
Apply online via: https://h-gac.com/careers
H-GAC is an equal opportunity/AA employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, or protected veteran status.
Equal Opportunity Employer