This intern opportunity is designed for students pursuing a graduate-level or professional degree in Public Administration, Compliance, or Law, with an interest in gaining experience in employment law, policy, and compliance in the public sector. The intern is exposed to the daily routines, processes, procedures, and expectations of work life in the public sector. The experience should expand the intern’s knowledge of employment law, policy, and compliance, as well as develop professional skills such as planning, organizing and teamwork.
Responsibilities may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Assist with research and summary of federal, state, and local law for policy development and regulatory compliance
- Contribute research and analysis to policy and compliance projects
- Assist with pre-compliance federal grant reviews and submissions
- Provide support for updating annual Affirmative Action Plans and EEO Programs
- Assist with preparations for compliance reviews and audits
- Assist with developing, delivering, and tracking internal compliance training
- Assist with preparations for meetings with Directors and policy and compliance stakeholders
- Prepare PowerPoint presentations for policy and compliance issues
- Create spreadsheets for project management and organizing data
- Calendar and monitor regulatory and internal deadlines
- Draft memos, emails, talking points on various topics
- Participate in staff and other internal meetings, attend board meetings, industry conferences, training, and webinars
- Assist with administrative tasks, such as scheduling meetings, preparing agendas, taking meeting minutes, and copying/scanning/filing documents
- Research and analytical skills with demonstrated interest in relevant compliance and policy work
- Self-motivated, with a high level of ability to operate independently and effectively with low to moderate day-to-day supervision
- Ability to confidentially handle sensitive information
- Ability to balance multiple projects and priorities with strong organizational skills and attention to detail
- Strong interpersonal communication and ability to collaborate with teams
- Self-motivation, flexibility, adaptability, and willingness to learn
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Tools, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint
- Polished oral and written communication skills; strong writing ability; speaks and writes clearly and succinctly in a variety of communication settings and styles
- Ability to work both virtually or in-office on the days and times specified
- Must pass background check
Must be a current student pursuing a Master’s degree in Public Administration or Compliance or a professional degree in law and must remain a student throughout intern experience.
Our offices operate Monday-Friday, 8AM-5PM. This position will work primarily virtually with occasional requests to report to the office until the NCTCOG determines it is safe to return to the office on a regular basis. This position will work a flexible weekly schedule of approximately 20-29 hours.
NCTCOG is an equal opportunity employer/program. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, disability, veteran status, and other classifications covered under federal, state, or local laws. Auxiliary aids and services are available upon request to individuals with disabilities. All candidates must successfully pass a pre-employment drug screen and national criminal background check in order to receive an employment offer from NCTCOG.
The North Central Texas Council of Governments participates in the federal E-Verify program in order to verify a new employee’s authorization to work in the United States. Applicants must be lawfully authorized to work in the U.S.
Job postings are kept open for a minimum of 10 calendar days and may close anytime thereafter at the discretion of the hiring manager.
We are committed to providing equal employment opportunities for all employment actions, including but not limited to recruitment, hiring, training, promotion, transfer, and compensation without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex (including gender identity, sexual orientation, and pregnancy), age, genetic information, disability, veteran status, political affiliation, or other protected class.
If you are an applicant with a disability and need an accommodation in order to apply for a position with NCTCOG, please contact Human Resources by calling 817-695-9234 or by email at email@example.com.
Job Location: 616 Six Flags Drive, ARLINGTON, TX
Tracking Code: 1181-153
Position Type: Part-Time
Equal Opportunity Employer