Community & Economic Development Manager
Supervises and performs various planning and research work for the Community and Economic Development & Regional Planning Program. Planning may involve activities related to job growth/retention, land-use, transportation, general community development and quality of life. Work involves developing local and/or regional level plans or programs; developing procedures for implementing these plans or programs; and developing procedures for measuring progress made on operational plans or programs. Maintaining regional networking relationships with Economic Development professionals. May act as the lead person on specific assignments. This position works under limited supervision with latitude for the use of initiative and independent judgment; reports through supervisory channels to the Executive Director and/or his designee.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Collects, organizes and analyzes data required in the development of plans or programs;
2. Prepares and submits progress reports on plans or programs;
3. Participates in planning conferences;
4. Reviews and evaluates planning material for contractual compliance;
5. Consults and communicates with other economic development professionals, departments, agencies and civic groups in furthering interest and/or action regarding a plan or program;
6. Recommends new or modified policies and programs to support economic development in the region.
7. Works with local, state and federal departments in matters concerning the coordination of plans and programs, including but not limited to transportation, historical preservation, public health, community and economic development for the region;
8. Develops or assists in developing procedures for implementing plans or programs and developing procedures for measuring progress made on plans or programs;
9. Assists in preparing applications/grants to public and private organizations;
10. May supervise or act as the lead person on specific planning projects;
11. Manages the BVCOG’s Community and Economic Development, Revolving Loan and Transportation programs;
12. Coordinates committee meetings, regional conferences, workshops, and public hearings;
13. May plan and/or supervise the writing, design, illustration, production, color, ink and paper selection along with the release of press notices, public service announcements, articles, television and radio programs, special features and annual reports and also to ensure they are correctly edited and distributed;
14. Prepares speeches and articles for agency staff;
15. Performs related work as assigned;
16. React positively and courteously in dealing with applicants, clients, member governments, personnel and the general public;
17. Perform duties in a professional manner with attention to accuracy and detail;
18. Work as a team member with Council staff in all Council activities for the overall benefit of the Council;
19. Serve as liaison between assigned committees and the BVCOG Board of Directors;
20. Maintains communication with economic development coordinators around the region and provides occasional planning assistance.
Must have a Bachelors Degree in city, urban or regional planning, economics, business, political science, public administration or a related field. A Masters degree is preferred. Previous work experience or education or certification as a Certified Economic Developer (CEcD) is desired. Must have a Class C Driver’s License in good standing. Must have dependable transportation and be willing to travel. Physical demands include but are not limited to: Sitting, talking, hearing, seeing, standing, walking, driving; use of hands and fingers to operate office equipment and machines; and occasionally lifting and/or moving objects 50 pounds or more, as necessary.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
The ability to accept or recognize the viewpoints of others, and work with a variety of persons from public and private agencies; Ability to communicate well, orally and in writing, to prepare written descriptions, computer graphics, maps and summaries that effectively communicate the results of research, identified needs, and recommended actions to a variety of audiences; Ability to carry out directed research, gathering and analyzing facts, which are part of a larger study; General knowledge of agency goals, policies, and programs. The ability to develop, organize and implement programs, establish priorities and meet deadlines. Experience and enthusiasm for intergovernmental involvement, and public communication skills, including group process methods and graphic presentations are needed. Skills with community organizing including coordinating regional events/activities, public relations, and education, and ability to enlist diverse groups into the planning effort are preferred. Must be able to use a variety of Microsoft Office applications, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook. Ability to use ESRI products is desired.
Please send the completed Application For Employment document below, resume and cover letter to BVCOG Human Resources Department, ATTN.: Ms. Dorothy Walker at firstname.lastname@example.org, P.O. Drawer 4128, Bryan, TX 77805-4128 or call 979.595.2800
Equal Opportunity Employer