The North Central Texas Council of Governments (NCTCOG) is seeking an entry- or mid-level Transportation Planner to assist with regional and corridor transportation planning studies and travel forecasting analysis activities. This posting is for the entry-level Transportation Planner I position. Applicants wishing to be considered for this position should apply online at https://mycogcareer.silkroad.com/. To be considered for the mid-level Transportation Planner II position or any other position that may currently be open, applicants need to apply online separately for those postings. All submittals should include a cover letter summarizing work experience, as well as a current resume.
Responsibilities may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Assisting with the preparation of computer-based travel demand forecasts
- Assisting with the development of custom travel modeling applications using TransCAD or similar travel model
- Working with supervisor to interpret and analyze travel demand forecast results, including daily roadway volumes, levels of service, vehicle miles traveled, and other performance measures
- Assisting with computer coding of roadway and transit networks for use in travel demand modeling
- Assisting with the preparation of countywide needs assessments, subarea studies, city thoroughfare plans, roadway corridor studies, and local government technical assistance requests
- Preparing and analyzing maps utilizing Geographic Information Systems
- Assisting manager to evaluate and recommend alternatives
- Drafting and delivering oral presentations
- Providing assistance in procurement and contracting functions, including work scope development and consultant oversight on projects
- Providing customer service to partners and stakeholders
- Theoretical and working knowledge of travel demand forecasting process
- Strong verbal and written communication skills and interpersonal skills
- Ability to operate Windows-based computer programs such as Word, Outlook, PowerPoint, Excel, and Access
- Strong critical-thinking and problem-solving skills
- Detail oriented, highly organized, and ability to multi-task
- Ability to work independently and in a team environment
- Working knowledge of Geographic Information Systems (GIS) software
- Bachelor’s degree in analytical, quantitative methods
- One year of job-related experience or less
The North Central Texas Council of Governments (NCTCOG) is a voluntary association of, by and for local governments, and was established to assist local governments in planning for common needs, cooperating for mutual benefit, and coordinating for sound regional development. NCTCOG’s purpose is to strengthen both the individual and collective power of local governments and to help them recognize regional opportunities, eliminate unnecessary duplication, and make joint decisions. Since 1974, the North Central Texas Council of Governments (NCTCOG) has served as the Metropolitan Planning Organization for transportation in the Dallas-Fort Worth Metropolitan Area and is responsible for developing transportation plans and programs that address the complex needs of the rapidly growing area. The planning area for transportation includes the 12 counties of Collin, Dallas, Denton, Ellis, Hood, Hunt, Johnson, Kaufman, Parker, Rockwall, Tarrant, and Wise.
The agency offers generous benefits, a friendly atmosphere with open communications for cooperative decision making, and challenging opportunities. The environment encourages both individual and team growth, responsibility and innovation.
NCTCOG is an equal opportunity employer/program. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, disability, veteran status, and other classifications covered under federal, state, or local laws. Auxiliary aids and services are available upon request to individuals with disabilities. All candidates must successfully pass a pre-employment drug screen and national criminal background check in order to receive an employment offer from NCTCOG.
The North Central Texas Council of Governments participates in the federal E-Verify program in order to verify a new employee’s authorization to work in the United States. Applicants must be lawfully authorized to work in the U.S.
Job postings are kept open for a minimum of 10 calendar days and may close anytime thereafter at the discretion of the hiring manager.
Equal Opportunity Employer