Serving more than 6 million people in our region, the Houston Galveston Area Council is the cornerstone to address issues that cross city limits and county lines every day. HGAC is made up of 13 county governments, 107 cities, and 11 school districts. HGAC prides itself in serving as an instrument of local government cooperation, promoting the region’s orderly development and the safety and welfare of its citizens.
H-GAC is seeking a Senior Planner to join the Bicycle-Pedestrian team within our Transportation department. Through cooperation with local governments, H-GAC’s Transportation Department improves the quality of life for residents across the region. Creating multimodal transportation options and providing connections for pedestrians and bicyclists are core elements in H-GAC’s Transportation programs.
As the Senior Planner, you will have the opportunity to coordinate programs and projects that improve mobility and safety for bicyclists and pedestrians throughout the region. This is a key support role in which you will assist in the preparation and execution of Pedestrian and Bicyclist Subcommittee meetings and training workshops, update of Regional Bikeway Plan, implementation of Pedestrian and Bicyclist Special District Studies, provide related technical assistance and conduct outreach activities. The major job duties in this role include collecting and analyzing data, researching best practices and additional funding opportunities and responding to inquiries on current bicycle and pedestrian projects. Strong project management, communication, and presentation skills are crucial for success in this role. You must be able to provide professional and timely feedback to a variety of audiences.
So what are we looking for in a candidate? We are pursuing an individual who enjoys and is passionate about bicycle and pedestrian planning. The Transportation Department is one that demonstrates strong team work, an “all hands on deck” attitude and are passionate about doing whatever it takes to improve the quality of life for our citizens. We are looking for someone who shares these same values and who is not afraid to think outside of the box, brainstorm and bring new ideas to the table. You must be a person who enjoys researching, reporting and interacting with the community. If this sounds like you then we would love to hear from you!
The successful candidate will have at a minimum:
- Bachelor’s degree in Urban Planning, Regional Planning or related field
- Three (3) years’ experience in urban or regional planning, monitoring, and reporting.
- Thorough knowledge of bicycle and pedestrian planning, policies, regulations and best management practices.
- Ability to plan and effectively manage complex, long-term projects
Preferred qualifications include:
- Five (5) years’ experience in urban and regional planning, monitoring and reporting.
- Experience with GIS and/or graphics software including Adobe Creative Suite (InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop) and SketchUp
- Knowledge of design guidelines and standards for bicycle and pedestrian facilities (AASHTO, NACTO, FHWA, ITE, etc.)
- Experience with bicycle and pedestrian counts, surveys, and audits
Equal Opportunity Employer