- Job Description
- The Transportation Department of the North Central Texas Council of Governments is seeking a Senior- or Principal-level Transportation Planner to assume a leadership role in the management of the Metropolitan Transportation Plan. This posting is for the Principal-level Transportation Planner position. Applicants wishing to be considered for this position should apply online at https://mycogcareer.silkroad.com/. To be considered for the Senior-level position or any other NCTCOG position that may currently be open, applicants need to apply online separately for those postings. All submittals should include a cover letter summarizing work experience as well as a current resume.
Responsibilities may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Managing activities associated with the development and maintenance of the region’s Metropolitan Transportation Plan
- Managing and coordinating activities associated with the continued development of projects, programs, and polices recommended in the Plan
- Managing the coordination of planning activities between Department program areas
- Managing the coordination of activities with other transportation partner agencies
- Coordinating the documentation of project progress and ensuring accurate and timely completion
- Handling special assignments outside of daily tasks
- Managing the collection and analysis of data
- Drafting technical and policy recommendations
- Developing work scopes and budgets
- Monitoring expenditures
- Managing consultant/vendor/subgrantee process
- Delivering oral presentations
- Preparing and reviewing correspondence, documentation, articles, executive summaries and reports
- Supervising staff
- Required Skills
- Thorough understanding of metropolitan transportation planning regulations and metropolitan planning organization (MPO) requirements
- Familiarity with Geographic Information Systems capabilities
- Strong critical-thinking and problem-solving skills
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Experience with project schedule development and tracking
- Good interpersonal, customer service skills, with ability to establish collaboration
- Working knowledge of travel demand forecasting techniques and other transportation planning analysis tools
- Familiarity with travel demand modeling (TransCAD) and/or traffic micro-simulation applications
- Experience working with diverse stakeholders (elected officials, all levels of government, technical staff, interest groups, etc.)
- Detail oriented, highly organized, and ability to handle multiple tasks and tight deadlines
- Ability to work well under pressure, in time-sensitive situations, and during regularly changing priorities
- Well versed in project management and time management
- Ability to accept new techniques and procedures quickly and integrate with daily job functions
- Ability to work both independently and in a team environment
- Required Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in analytical, quantitative methods
- At least five years of job-related experience
Minimum of $63,104.00 per year
The North Central Texas Council of Governments (NCTCOG) is a voluntary association of, by and for local governments, and was established to assist local governments in planning for common needs, cooperating for mutual benefit, and coordinating for sound regional development. NCTCOG’s purpose is to strengthen both the individual and collective power of local governments and to help them recognize regional opportunities, eliminate unnecessary duplication, and make joint decisions. Since 1974, the North Central Texas Council of Governments (NCTCOG) has served as the Metropolitan Planning Organization for transportation in the Dallas-Fort Worth Metropolitan Area and is responsible for developing transportation plans and programs that address the complex needs of the rapidly growing area. The planning area for transportation includes the 12 counties of Collin, Dallas, Denton, Ellis, Hood, Hunt, Johnson, Kaufman, Parker, Rockwall, Tarrant, and Wise.
The agency offers generous benefits, a friendly atmosphere with open communications for cooperative decision making, and challenging opportunities. The environment encourages both individual and team growth, responsibility and innovation.
NCTCOG is an equal opportunity employer/program. Auxiliary aids and services are available upon request to individuals with disabilities. All candidates must successfully pass a pre-employment drug screen and national criminal background check in order to receive an employment offer from NCTCOG.
The North Central Texas Council of Governments participates in the federal E-Verify program in order to verify a new employee’s authorization to work in the United States. Applicants must be lawfully authorized to work in the U.S.
Job postings are kept open for a minimum of 10 calendar days and may close anytime thereafter at the discretion of the hiring manager.
- Job Location
- ARLINGTON, Texas, United States
- Position Type
Equal Opportunity Employer