Serving more than 7 million people in our region, the Houston-Galveston Area Council is the cornerstone to address issues that cross city limits and county lines every day. H-GAC is made up of 13 county governments, 107 cities, and 11 school districts. H-GAC prides itself in serving as an instrument of local government cooperation, promoting the region’s orderly development and the safety and welfare of its citizens.
H-GAC is seeking a Planner to join the Multimodal Planning team within our Transportation department. Through cooperation with local governments, H-GAC’s Transportation Department improves the quality of life for residents across the region. Improving mobility and creating multimodal transportation options are core elements in H-GAC’s Transportation programs.
As the Planner, you will have the opportunity to coordinate on planning projects that improve mobility, safety, multimodal connections, and economic development throughout the region. The candidate must demonstrate experience in development and execution of corridor, access management plans, transportation and land use analysis, policy recommendations, and investment priorities that garner broad stakeholder and public support. The candidate will assist with Planning and Environmental Linkage (PEL) Studies for transportation projects. Strong project management, communication, and presentation skills are crucial for success in this role. You must be able to provide professional and timely feedback to a variety of audiences. Do you feel you have what it takes to be successful in this role?
The successful candidate will have at a minimum:
• Bachelor’s degree in Urban Planning, Regional Planning or related field
• Three (3) years’ experience in urban or regional planning, monitoring and reporting.
• Thorough knowledge of transportation and land use planning, policies, regulations and best management
• Ability to plan and effectively manage complex, long-term projects
Preferred Qualifications Include:
• Five (5) years’ experience in urban and regional planning, monitoring and reporting.
• Experience with GIS and/or graphics software including Adobe Creative Suite (InDesign, Illustrator,
Photoshop) and SketchUp
• Knowledge and experience with Planning and Environmental Linkage (PEL) Studies and the National
Environmental Policy Act (NEPA) process
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications and database software.
H-GAC is an equal opportunity/AA employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for
employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, or protected veteran status.
Equal Opportunity Employer