- Posted 02/13/18
The North Central Texas Council of Governments (NCTCOG) is a voluntary association of, by and for local governments, and was established to assist local governments in planning for common needs, cooperating for mutual benefit, and coordinating for sound regional development.
NCTCOG’s purpose is to strengthen both the individual and collective power of local governments and to help them recognize regional opportunities, eliminate unnecessary duplication, and make joint decisions. NCTCOG is located in the Dallas/ Fort Worth area.
The Department of Environment and Development is seeking an energetic professional to join its team as an Intern. The successful applicant will provide general support for planning staff. This position will support environment and development programs including supporting water resources, stormwater quality and quantity, public works coordination, grease abatement, energy and energy-efficiency, air quality, and/or planning for the growth that promotes quality of life improvement initiatives. The Intern position also provides administrative support to facilitate department coordination, communication, and outreach efforts with NCTCOG’s member governments. For more information about department programs, please see http://www.nctcog.org/envir/programs.asp.
Qualified candidates must be attending an accredited college or university while in the position and able to work at the NCTCOG offices in Arlington, Texas. The desired weekly hours for this position is up to 29 hours and the ideal candidate would be able to work for a period of up to one year or more while attending school. Please include a cover letter with your resume by saving your cover letter and resume as one document for uploading at the time of submission.
Applicants wishing to be considered for this position should apply online. To be considered for any other NCTCOG position that may currently be open, applicants need to apply online separately for those postings.
Responsibilities may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Providing administrative support for committees and meetings
- Coordinating and attending meetings
- Documenting meetings through note taking and producing meeting summaries
- Reviewing and revising documents
- Creating and managing databases
- Reviewing and updating websites
- Creating maps and databases
- Collecting and analyzing environmental, development, energy, and demographic data
- Compiling and summarizing studies
- Writing reports and compiling documents for publishing
- Preparing public outreach and education materials, presentations, and supporting external meetings
- Required Skills
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Strong Microsoft Office skills, particularly Word and Excel
- Geographic Information Systems (GIS) skills, desired
- Detail-oriented, organized, and ability to handle multiple tasks and tight deadlines
- Critical thinking and problem solving skills
- Good interpersonal skills
- Must be able to work independently and in a team environment
- Required Experience
- Must be attending an accredited college or university during employment.
NCTCOG is an equal opportunity employer/program. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, disability, veteran status, and other classifications covered under federal, state, or local laws. Auxiliary aids and services are available upon request to individuals with disabilities. All candidates must successfully pass a pre-employment drug screen and national criminal background check in order to receive an employment offer from NCTCOG.
The North Central Texas Council of Governments participates in the federal E-Verify program in order to verify a new employee’s authorization to work in the United States. Applicants must be lawfully authorized to work in the U.S.
Job postings are kept open for a minimum of 10 calendar days and may close anytime thereafter at the discretion of the hiring manager.
Equal Opportunity Employer