The North Central Texas Council of Governments is seeking a dynamic, goal-driven applicant to fill a full-time Emergency Preparedness Specialist position in support of the Department of Emergency Preparedness. This position will provide project support while assisting multiple programs within the department. Primary work will be in the Mitigation Program but may include work in Homeland Security, Urban Area Security Initiative or other programs.
The purpose of this position is to support department functions through project development and implementation. This is accomplished through project planning, process, and task analysis, meeting coordination and leadership, development of program reports and correspondence, professional communications with stakeholders, and budget analysis. The successful candidate will also work in research, grant writing, and management, website maintenance, map and chart production, and will provide other professional support to the Emergency Preparedness Department and its related committees as needed.
- Bachelor’s degree in emergency management, public administration or other related field of study
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Excel, and Outlook. Knowledge of SharePoint, Publisher and Access a plus.
- Effective written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to present to staff and outside stakeholders/officials
- Excellent customer service and presentation skills
- Detail-oriented and highly organized with ability to prioritize and manage multiple tasks
- Disciplined self-starter who thrives in a team-oriented environment
- Demonstrated leadership and decision-making skills
- One year to three years of related experience is required
- Proven experience with project planning in a dynamic environment with multiple stakeholders
- Proven ability to research and draft technical documents
- Experience facilitating group discussions and group decisions within committees, subcommittees and/or working groups
- Experience monitoring contract budgets and schedule of deliverables
- Working knowledge of public sector work environments
- Understanding of the Incident Command System (ICS) and National Incident Management System (NIMS)
- Understanding of or experience with public/private partnerships
- Mitigation planning experience is highly desired
- College course emphasis or work experience in the field of emergency preparedness or homeland security is highly desired
- Grant writing, grant management, and budget preparation experience is highly desired
- GIS knowledge is desired
- Understanding of contract negotiation and management is desired
NCTCOG is an equal opportunity employer/program. Auxiliary aids and services are available upon request to individuals with disabilities. All candidates must successfully pass a pre-employment drug screen and national criminal background checks in order to receive an employment offer from NCTCOG.
The North Central Texas Council of Governments participates in the federal E-Verify program in order to verify a new employee’s authorization to work in the United States. Applicants must be lawfully authorized to work in the U.S.
Job postings are kept open for a minimum of 10 calendar days and may close anytime thereafter at the discretion of the hiring manager.
Job Location: ARLINGTON, Texas, United States
Equal Opportunity Employer