Serving more than 6 million people in our region, the Houston Galveston Area Council is the cornerstone to address issues that cross city limits and county lines every day. HGAC is made up of 13 county governments, 107 cities, and 11 school districts. HGAC prides itself in serving as an instrument of local government cooperation, promoting the region’s orderly development and the safety and welfare of its citizens.
H-GAC is looking for a Data Analyst to join our Community & Environmental Socio-Economic team. H-GAC’s Socio-Economic Modeling program produces a regional growth forecast, an essential tool used by local governments in transportation and other long-range planning. The program conducts the ongoing collection and analysis of employment, population, and land use data, and provides tools for local governments to access US Census Data.
The primary responsibilities of the Data Analyst will be to gather, maintain and analyze large data sets. This individual will serve as a primary point of contact for all internal and external data requests. We are looking for someone who has experience using SAS to integrate data from multiple sources in order to conduct studies, forecast models and to generate reports. Experience working with socio-economic and census data is fundamental for success in this role.
The successful candidate will have at a minimum:
- Bachelor’s degree in Economics, Sociology, Planning Statistics or a related field of study.
- Applicable experience may substitute for education.
- Three (3) years of experience in data frames, data set designs, maintaining large volumes of data, producing forecasting models and reporting.
- Exposure and understanding of various data theories, principals, and presentation techniques.
- Experience in reading and writing SAS code for data processing and management.
Preferred qualifications include:
- Five (5) years of experience in a previous data analytics role
- Managing short and long term projects
- Strong hands-on experience in BASE SAS, SAS SQL, and SAS MACRO
Equal Opportunity Employer