- Job Description
- The Transportation Department of the North Central Texas Council of Governments (NCTCOG) is seeking an Automated Vehicle Technology and Planning Specialist to assist with facilitating the timely and productive introduction of automated vehicle and related technologies and mobility service models such as shared mobility in the North Texas region. The selected individual’s official position with the Agency would be as a Transportation Planner I, II or III. This specific posting is for the Transportation Planner III position. Applicants wishing to be considered for this position should apply online at https://mycogcareer.silkroad.com/. To be considered for the level I or II positions related to Automated Vehicle Technology, or any other NCTCOG position that may currently be open, applicants need to apply online separately for those postings. All submittals should include a cover letter summarizing work experience, as well as a current resume.
Responsibilities may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Identifying and implementing the infrastructure necessary to facilitate the timely, safe and effective rollout of increasingly automated vehicles
- Assembling, analyzing and sharing transportation-related data that may be a key element of the “infrastructure” that the public sector can contribute to support automated vehicle operations
- Assembling and analyzing the professional literature covering the impact of automated vehicles, shared mobility and related developments on the demand for mobility and their impact on the transportation planning process and assumptions
- Working with regional partners on projects to advance the introduction and support the operation of automated vehicles
- Building and utilizing software tools that will assist regional partners and NCTCOG to put in place the transportation data infrastructure needed for effective automated vehicle operations
- Facilitating the development of strategic projects and programs relating to automated vehicles, transportation system data and shared mobility services, with minimal guidance
- Organizing pilot projects involving the deployment of automated vehicles, with minimal guidance
- Monitoring project and program activities
- Participating in elements of procurement and contracting functions
- Leading outreach work to the public, private and non-profit sectors with respect to vehicle automation, data sharing, shared mobility and other emerging mobility issues, including giving oral presentations
- Organizing events, such as hackathons, that are designed to advance vehicle automation and mobility solutions for the region
- Interacting with representatives from both the public and private sectors who are working on innovative mobility solutions
- Interacting with academic institutions working on innovative mobility solutions
- Contributing content to NCTCOG and other publications
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Access, and Outlook
- Proficiency in ArcGIS
- Proficiency in data analysis
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and interpersonal skills
- Detail oriented, organized, and creative with ability to handle multiple tasks and tight deadlines
- Ability to work independently and in a team environment
- Project management skills
- Required Experience
- Work requires a Bachelor’s degree, with course work in analytical, quantitative methods. A Master’s degree is desired.
- At least one year of job-related experience, although a strong educational background may offset a lack of work experience.
The North Central Texas Council of Governments (NCTCOG) is a voluntary association of, by and for local governments, and was established to assist local governments in planning for common needs, cooperating for mutual benefit, and coordinating for sound regional development. NCTCOG’s purpose is to strengthen both the individual and collective power of local governments and to help them recognize regional opportunities, eliminate unnecessary duplication, and make joint decisions. Since 1974, NCTCOG has served as the Metropolitan Planning Organization for transportation in the Dallas-Fort Worth Metropolitan Area and is responsible for developing transportation plans and programs that address the complex needs of the rapidly growing area. The planning area for transportation includes the 12 counties of Collin, Dallas, Denton, Ellis, Hood, Hunt, Johnson, Kaufman, Parker, Rockwall, Tarrant, and Wise.
The agency offers generous benefits, a friendly atmosphere with open communications for cooperative decision making, and challenging opportunities. The environment encourages both individual and team growth, responsibility and innovation.
NCTCOG is an equal opportunity employer/program. Auxiliary aids and services are available upon request to individuals with disabilities. All candidates must successfully pass a pre-employment drug screen and national criminal background check in order to receive an employment offer from NCTCOG.
The North Central Texas Council of Governments participates in the federal E-Verify program in order to verify a new employee’s authorization to work in the United States. Applicants must be lawfully authorized to work in the U.S.
Job postings are kept open for a minimum of 10 calendar days and may close anytime thereafter at the discretion of the hiring manager.
Job Location: ARLINGTON, Texas, United States
Equal Opportunity Employer